The Internet is Like a Theme Park
The internet is like a theme park. Both can be amazing, awesome and fun BUT sometimes confusing, scary or worrying.
We need to do things to keep safe on the internet, just like at a theme park. For example: stay with adults, stick to places meant for kids and check in if we feel unsafe.
Screen Time & Green Time
It's healthy to have a balance between screen time and green time.
Green time can be anything we do that is not on our screens. Examples include: sport, dance, riding a bike, trampolining, playing in nature, Lego, board games, puzzles, cooking, reading, mindfulness and much more!
Green time helps us grow our minds and bodies.
Take Care, Don't Share
Digital Footprints are a record of what you do online, including the sites you visit and the things you share. A trail is a path or track that someone can follow.
Private Information is information about you that can be used to identify who you are.
We never share our full name, address, phone number, age, birthday or school name.
Take Care, Don't Share
The internet is a public place and not everyone is can be trusted.
To keep us safe, we need to always take care and not share...personal information.
Personal information can be used to identify you and includes: photos, full name, where you live, your family, passwords
Create your own online profile activity
Each student will need a copy of page 1 & page 2. You will need a number of page 3 printed so students can choose one avatar each.
1. Complete page 1 with information that is safe to share online, including pasting in their choice of avatar (animal image)
2. Complete page 2 with personal information
3. Cut along dotted lines on page 1 and apply glue to areas (as indicated) on page 2
4. Affix page 1 on top of page 2 and you will have a flap to hide the personal information while only displaying the online profile on the front!
5. Take photos and post to Instagram and tag @ollieonlinedownunder
What is the internet?
For our young people to become safe, respectful and responsible digital citzens, they need to understand what the internet is.
Watch this video together and complete the fun, hands-on activity (see lesson plan below). Hint: you'll need a ball of wool/string!